Send us an e-mail
Visit our web site
||All areas Nationwide
||Free! Drop off a blanket and know that you're helping someone keep warm this winter!
Twitter Blanket drive & related initiatives for charity
The Twitter Blanket Drive (TBD) is a uniquely South African, community-driven response to the needs of the poor during the winter months of the year. Initiated in 2010 by Founder, Melanie Minnaar, the Twitter Blanket Drive started with a single tweet:
What if each person on Twitter donated a blanket?
Since then, the Twitter Blanket Drive movement has grown exponentially. In 2012, 13 000 blankets were collected by the Twitter Blanket Drive and donated to organisations who assist the needy, homeless and indigent. All beneficiaries of the Twitter Blanket Drive are verified Non-Profit Organisations (NPOS), as registered with the Department of Social Development. All beneficiaries for the national drive are verified through national networking organisation info4africa (www.info4africa.org.za).
For 2013, events will be held across the country on 25 May.
Events take on the form of a “Tweetup”, whereby Twitter users tweet about donating their blankets and all enjoy a meal or drink at the collection point.
How can you help?
1. Attend a Twitter Blanket Drive event in your town. Durban - the main event will be held on 25 May 2013 at Durban North Wakaberry. Blankets can also be dropped off at: News Cafe Umhlanga; Wakaberry branches of Kloof, Westville, Florida Road and Ballito; St Clements Church; MegaSmiles Venues and branches of Hirsch's, also at the Shark's Cage. Cape Town and Johannesburg venues can be found by following the #TBD2013 hashtag on Twitter.
2. Make a cash donation to the Twitter Blanket Drive. Donated funds will be used to purchase more blankets for KwaCare. Bank Details are: Account Name: Twitter Blanket Drive | Bank: FNB | Branch: Florida Road (220526) | Account Number: 62410761862 | Reference: Your Twitter Handle or Name.
3. Like Twitter Blanket Drive on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TBDZA
4. Follow Twitter Blanket Drive on Twitter: https://twitter.com/tbdza or https://www.twitter.com/TBDAfrica and use the hashtag #TBD2013
5. Help with the transport of the blankets from events to beneficiary organisations.
Please say you saw this on Kznkids. Tell
with a friend.
"The content of this page in so far as the marketing of goods/services is concerned, is the property of the company itself and Jozikids cannot be held responsible for the accuracy, validity or legality of the content therefore."